Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Egans did it! Baby Girl Egan Arrives!!

WARNING: LONG AND DETAILED POST!


Written in my phone and found later....


"I'm having contractions and I just want to sleep. Can't this baby come after a long nights normal sleep?! I have no idea when to call the doctor because I can't really tell what's going on- I've been in the shower all night off and on since 11:30pm- its now 4am. Is it going to hurt worse than this? Who knows. Will is asleep and I just want him to sleep because there is nothing he can do, but get sleep in case we have this baby soon. I don't even know her name. Can I do this labor this thing? Will Catherine come? Ahhh just stopped for a contraction. I'm going to try and sleep. 3 minutes later. Just kidding. I'm in pain. Worse than cramps- If I get out of the shower it worsens. I tried to blow dry and straighten my hair to take my mind off it. Negative ghost rider. Didn't work because I have to stop every few minutes to contract and wallow on the floor. Will is snoring."
4:02
4: 07- bad one
4: 13
4: 16
4: 20... Continued until 6:00 when I finally woke Will up after getting dressed and told it him was time. He said he was helping someone move in 30 minutes and asked it I could wait. (Little does he know I have been "waiting" since 4 am.

After Will taking forever to unpack and re pack our bag that's been packed for two weeks! And then finally done with taking numerous pictures while contracting- we walked out the door. Sweet hubs didn't understand yet that this is the real deal- he still thought he was making football at 8 am.


We walked out of our building and will said, "should we take a cab or the train?" I knew he was kidding, but it wouldn't be my husband if he didn't suggest the train. I tried to laugh at all his jokes- it was cute he tried so hard to make me laugh at this time. We had a short walk to find a cab- on our bumpy way to the hospital. It was a painful ride! But the worst moment was when I stepped out the cab at the hospital and I literally thought, "this is it. I waited too long and I can't make it in the door of the hospital." But really, I was done and wanted to be carried in- a security guard saw us and ran to help me get in a wheel chair. I never screamed, moaned or yelled, but the pain was intense.
Will wheeled me to the
Tisch wing for labor and delivery where a sweet nurse tended to me until a hospital assigned doctor came to see how dilated I was- I knew I was already 3 cm before arriving so I was hoping for some progression- 6cm! Glad we came in. 6 was a magical number because as soon as Will heard it he sprung into action as coach, masseuse and doula. I told him to call Catherine immediately- that's Nolan's mom- yes, I'm lucky enough to have my friend and boss also be my doctor! Huge blessing that I didn't even realize the extent of until today when I had been quickly given an antibiotic for group strep b through and iv and then allowed to get in the shower for pain relief- I heard her voice say she was hear and instant mental relief occurred. Will was rubbing the small of my back during each contraction while trying to give Andrew Checketts directions to football- don't worry I kept telling him to answer his phone as I took my mind off of things. The sweet nurse came in and said, "dad, your wife is doing a natural birth- she needs all of your attention!" I laughed a little.


Suddenly, the tables turned- I had to go to the bathroom! Yikes, I'm in the hospital shower- I yelled for Catherine she said- "don't push! You don't have to go to the bathroom! Its the baby's head!" I freaked out. I had no idea it would actually feel like the pressure, only intensified, of going to the bathroom. I ran soaking wet to the table for her to check me, 8cm, but not close enough to push yet. Stage one of labor had lasted 5 hours so far.. Went back to the shower- with Will's help I lasted another contraction before feeling like I was going to explode if I didn't push so I ran back to the table actually thinking she could fall out at any second. Mind you I am soaking wet and didn't care that pre-arrival my hair was straight and so pretty and I didn't even stop to dry off.

She explained to me how to properly "push" this baby out!
Every time I feel a contraction I am to take a deep breath and hold and push for 10 seconds and repeat this 2 more times. Since I didn't have an IV or epidural I was able to try several positions before finding one I could work with. The baby is sunny side up I was told- this will take longer to push her out assuming she will flip over on her own. My amazing nurse Emily coached me through several ways to get her to flip- I continued to push. Catherine told us that our only hiccup is that she is "sunny side up" this making it tough/ impossible to push out unless she flipped face down to come out- I pushed for one 1 hour and 50 minutes- most of which she was "crowning"- which was insanely painful. The nurse said- "she's not going back in during contractions, are you okay!?" The johnny cash "ring of fire" song has a whole new meaning.



They asked it I wanted a mirror- I said no and I'm so glad because although I did not go to natural labor class- I went into a self hypnosis naturally somehow and was fully aware of my surroundings, but unaware of the extent of pain my body was going through- well I knew the pain actually, but not how long. I had no idea how long I had been at the hospital. William was amazing. He talked the entire time and coached me through every second. My nurse Emily had such a calm reassuring voice reminding me to rest between contractions. She laughed at the crazy position I found most comfortable and named it the "Amanda" position because it was the first time she had seen anyone be in it. I had my feet up on the bar and back in the small of the bed to receive my back pain somewhat. I kept saying, "I can't push harder/do better!" Catherine would say, "yes you can. And you will." I didn't ever ask for pain medicine- which is surprising, but will kept reassuring me that I could have them at any point. I just wanted to get relief and hear her cry. I changed positions quickly out of a urge for greater comfort- another nurse came to hold my legs as the bar was swiftly removed.

Finally, after lots of hard pushes Catherine offered to use a vacuum to flip her and pull her out. She commended me for doing everything on my own so far and said its nothing to be ashamed of- that wasn't my problem at all- I didn't want her head to be misshapen because I couldn't push hard enough. My sweet nurse whispered,"don't do it!"



Will was supportive of anything and before I even heard an answer about her head being misshapen my next contraction came and I pushed harder than ever and sweet relief and pure amazement occurred. Her head, shoulders, another push and body, hips and legs came out. It was the MOST Miraculous experience anyone can ever feel. I was so thankful I had such a great husband, doctor and nurse to be able to do this. Will says what happened next was the fastest few seconds with the most action. She came out, he cut the cord, whisk on my stomach, nurse cleaned her and the greatest moment of my life occurred.

Baby Girl Egan was here. 6 pounds 13 ounces. 10:38 am. 20 Inches. Perfection.



Finally, she was on my chest where she belonged.

I was so happy to see her, but I had torn on the inside a little and 8 minutes after he coming out I delivered the placenta and was sewn up- it was as painful as her crowning as I still had no pain relief. Terrible. Even worse than delivery because I just wanted to stare and enjoy holding her. As our skin touched my body felt healed. She was truly straight from our Heavenly Father. The purest and most beautiful thing in the world. We were truly in love.
A nurse took an imprint of her foot for us and then Will put her first diaper on as I watched in amazement at what we had accomplished in 3 hours at the Hospital.


She was stunningly beautiful and so alert and well, perfect because she is ours.


We were never letting go of this baby girl.


Thank you to William for being the absolute best husband and birthing coach ever- seriously- he surpassed my hopes and expectations. At one point he had been talking so much to me- Catherine asked if I wanted "them" to be quiet while I pushed! I laughed a little because I knew she meant William. I loved having his full and complete support. I remember him asking- is this baby coming before 11? Catherine said yes. I had no idea what that meant in relation to what time it was- after delivery I realized there was a clock right beside my bed, but I am SO happy I didn't see it before!


My nurse, Emily, had the sweetest voice I have ever heard. She could calm me down if I was on fire. Which I guess I was a little at some points. I couldn't have been more lucky than to have a nurse that believed in natural birth and in me as a patient.


And Catherine. She was so calm and relaxed during the whole birth- she said she knew we were both safe and okay so she wasn't worried. I have never felt more thankful for a employer.















Date: September 17, 2011

3 comments:

Esther Noelle said...

LOVED reading your birth story! Sounds like such a wonderful labor. And you really lucked out on your nurse - she sounded very "doula-esque"! Wish all nurses were like that! Isn't the water amazing for relief? And I loved that your nurse said don't do the vacuum! Ha! You did it lady! So glad to hear Will was a supportive birth partner! We are soooo happy for you guys!

The Romney Family said...

Congrats, guys! I was so happy when Calleen told me the great news! And so fun to read your birth story, Amanda--sounds like an amazing experience. I really think there is something indescribable about giving birth naturally and experiencing that emotional "high". Incredible. I can't wait to do it again! Hope things are going well for you guys and you're recovering nicely and enjoying the transition to a family of THREE! Such a great time of life. Good luck with everything! You will be amazing parents, and sweet little Emma is very blessed.

Angie said...

I loved loved loved reading your birth story. Sounds like it was wonderful and miraculous and hard and everything a birth is supposed to be. Way to go! The reward at the end was so totally worth it, Emma is beautiful!