Friday, August 13, 2010

"Block Beautiful"


Aka 19th Street between Third Avenue and Irving Place. The name comes from an issue of House Beautiful from the turn of the 20th century, praising Frederick J. Sterner's remodeling of the blocks 19th century houses. The name stuck and refers today to those 20th century houses that were then praised for being modern.
Think about that as you check out the few pictures I took



This entire building had SO much detail. It was amazing.
I loved the detail of the underside of the windows.

Amazing ivy covered building.


Stained glass windows

Above the door
Carriage House from 19th century that was remodeled
No. 139 Four figurines of jockeys in front
No. 145 Lion gargoyles in front of entrance

No. 124 Beautiful one family home with stair step gables

I had read about this block before, but happened upon it on a walk and met the most lovely women who told me stories about each of the buildings as she has seen it changed over the past 30 years living on the block. She encouraged me to see Working Girl because 80 Irving Place was Sigourney Weaver's character's home. I love thinking that this was what modern, eclectic and colorful meant to Sterner as he remodeled the block.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love things like this! I am so glad you posted all these lovely pictures, now I'm going to plan on checking it out for myself! Thanks!