Monday, October 25, 2010

Change for the better

I have had some big changes going on lately that I have not even talked about. We decided that I wanted to go back to school and complete my degree this year. I had 5 classes and 4 months of student teaching left when I got to New York to complete. I thought I would get a lot done while working full time, but that didn't happen. It is not as easy as it sounds because shy of me moving back to Utah- its kind of an ordeal to do in NYC. But my decision was made. I have to graduate as soon as possible.
Process:
Step One:
Sign up and complete all five classes through BYU Independent Study or another univeristy and find a DANCE class (yes, I know- BYU requires Elementary education majors to take a dance class) in NYC to take. I got myself down to 4 classes with 4 months left and was feeling hopeless with the dance class, until BYU wrote me and told me they would DROP it!! What a huge blessing finacially and of time. It was going to take up 8 hours of my week. Now I just have to complete 3 classes by December 31! Its going to be a challenge.

Step Two:
But after a lot of phone calls to BYU and begging my case to several people I got approved for a courtesy placement to complete my Student Teaching starting in January at Claremont Prep in the Finacial District on Manhattan. This was my preference because it is the school that the DeMare's (family I have nannied for 1 1/2 for attends) and I already know the school, teachers, and parents. Not to mention I will get to see Luca and Marcus most every day and all my other little buddies.

Step Three:
Now that I know it is possible for me do get the educational side of this done through BYU I have to make some big decisions about my work life. I was working for a family downtown with Marcus and Luca- who I adore. I actually thought I could not complete school yet because it would be too hard to leave them! Will and I decided this was the best decision for me to quit and find an after school job that I could continue while I student teach. So I went back to a job that a friend at church had told me about months before and asked if it was still available. IT WAS! It seemed to be the very best option for me. The family lives on the Upper West Side and right on Central Park- exciting change for me. More to come.
Step Four:
Find a morning job so I dont go insane! Thats been pretty exciting. So far I have worked at 4 different places in the morning and I will tell you a little about each of them later.

Step Five:
Get excited about my changes and the blessings that came into our lives so quickly so that I could put my education first and make this happen.

Its been over a month now into my new work life and I am loving it-

No comments: